Wednesday 18 February 2015

On Feb. 13, my Hematologist said to me, "All your blood counts are in the low end of normal range and they are trending up.  You are out of the risk zone.  See you in 3 months; at that time we will also check to see if any of your vaccinations were affected by the treatment.".  Good stuff.  But I still don't want to get sick, because it really set me back last time, so I will be careful.

I bought a walker recently.  I was hesitant to buy it, since my initial (and typically stubborn) thought was that it would be a step backwards (moving from a cane to a walker).  But it is really very helpful. I barely rely on it (my grip is very loose), but it gives me confidence when I walk, knowing that if I lose my balance it will keep me upright.  This allows me to concentrate on walking using good form (accentuate lifting my feet, take slow and sure steps), without having to think about anything else, which increases my desire to walk more often.  Which is what I need to do.  Walk more often, and walk properly.  It is definitely a very beneficial piece of equipment for me. It's made of aluminum, the front two legs have wheels, and the back two legs have knobs on the end of them like a cane.  It looks something like this:



I am stretching more these days.  My hamstrings were actually a bit sore after the first day I stretched with purpose.  They are extremely tight, especially the right one.  Years of muscle spasticity without any stretching and minimal exercise has made them tight like ropes, and very likely shortened them as well.  I've also started to take magnesium (in powder form) daily, since I have read that it helps to relax muscles.

This week I am increasing my physiotherapy session frequency from 2 to 3 times per week.  And 95% of my sickness is gone.  I am feeling decent, so I will take advantage of it and do more exercise.

----------------------

February 15 was our youngest daughter Aly's 3rd birthday.  How time flies.


No comments:

Post a Comment