Tuesday 11 November 2014

[DAY 0] Today is Day 0.  I have been waiting for this day, and am happy it is here.  Today I get my bone marrow/ stem cells back.  For those who want to know: I believe I read somewhere that the 'return' of a patient's bone marrow / stem cells is not absolutely necessary, it serves to speed up recovery.  The important part of HSCT to stop MS, is to kill some or all of the immune system using chemotherapy and conditioning (every HSCT facility uses a slightly different protocol).  That part is done, so today is the day I get stem cells back.

A big thank you goes out to Sue, the sister of Kate Paterson (also here for HSCT, 2 weeks ahead of me).  Sue is part of Kate's caregiving team.  Yesterday, Sue took one of my caregivers (Diana) with her to the local market,and told Diana all about cooking for / feeding an HSCT patient post-transplant.  What worked, what didn't, and what the Doctors and Nurses had to say. Diana said it was very enlightening,  and very informative.  Thank you, Sue.

At about midnight last night I vomited, and again this morning after trying to eat something.  Nothing crazy, very typical, and Ashraf said "Good".

One more night at the clinic, and then maybe tomorrow I'll be released to my hotel room if all is good.

-------------------------

Here is a nice picture of Elaina and her Dida (Anne's dad).  I remember when he had his brain surgery about 3 years ago he said that his non-stop hiccups were a real pain in the ass.  My hiccups come and go, but when they are here, they are definitely a real pain in the ass.


-------------------------

Happy Veterans Day to all veterans.  A special Happy Veterans Day to my grandmother Molly Sharpe, a veteran of WWII.  We love you (Great) Grandma.

6 comments:

  1. What a great team! So proud of you Aaron, and I look forward to your blog each day. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deby. Hope the parties at #86 are hopping!

      Delete
  2. 2 spelling issues...must be off your game today..call me tomorrow xoxo
    Strong mind...you asked me this all...you will get through it xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Aaron. Just the other day Anne and I officially gave your writing a "Level 4"...in the teaching world, that is the highest score. lol....she's got her eye on your spelling I see! Oh, the joys of being married to a teacher! ...Love your friends Marc and Jay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just a product of great teacher's in the Ontario Ministry of Ed.

      Delete
  4. Hi Aaron. Just the other day Anne and I officially gave your writing a "Level 4"...in the teaching world, that is the highest score. lol....she's got her eye on your spelling I see! Oh, the joys of being married to a teacher! ...Love your friends Marc and Jay!

    ReplyDelete