Monday 24 November 2014

[DAY +13] A whole team of Doctors came to see me today (typical for Monday - I'm told).  And they came bearing the news I wanted to hear: all my blood 'counts' are on the rise  - all indications point to engraftment being underway.  Specifically, they told me that my white blood cell count is 0.6 (was 0, 0.1 previous couple days).  They said they need to see that number above 1.0 before I can be discharged.  If all goes well, that will be in the next day or two.  We will see.

----------------

Pretty typical day here yesterday.  For anybody who ends up here in the future, the basic highlights of what happens each day are:

06:00 : Blood taken for testing by night Nurse
07:30 - 08:30 : Breakfast arrives, day Nurse says hello and asks a few questions, room is cleaned (extremely thoroughly)
11:00 - 12:00 : Doctor on rounds says hello, asks a few questions, and we talk about blood test results
12:00 : Lunch arrives
12:30 : Day nurse arrives with Neupogen shot
16:00 : Afternoon Nurse says hello and asks a few questions
17:00 : Dinner arrives
23:30 : Night Nurse says hello and asks a few questions if I am awake, otherwise they'll just go about their business.

Nurses come in and out the room several times a day to check your temperature, blood pressure, and pulse.  They also come in to re-up your IV fluids and/or antibiotics, and give you pills, as required.  You are also weighed daily.

The first 2 days here I received one platelet infusion each day.  I have not had one since.

------------------

*Update*
(1) Neupogen shot received around midday
(2) Walked (2 loops) of the hospital (bone marrow transplant wing)

-----------------

The first few days after the transplant i didn't lose any weight.  I wasn't eating much, but i was being given lots of IV fluid which was being retained in my lower legs and feet.  I could barely put my socks (we cut them at the top to make it possible) and shoes on.  Tying shoelaces up was not possible.  I have started to eat again - I have a good appetite - and the swelling in my lower legs / feet is gone, even though the IV fluids are not.  My point here is that my daily weigh-in indicates I have lost around 15 pounds since before the transplant.  This is typical.  Can't wait to indulge in the recommended high-calorie post-transplant foods when I get home.  Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Swiss Almond, be ready!

-------------------

Here is another HSCT for MS success video.  The walker / patient, Brooke, says that every day post-HSCT is not roses, but the majority are.  And before the transplant, there were no roses at all, and every day was crap.  Congratulations Brooke.  Keep working hard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDX9jq5D8_8


1 comment:

  1. Fantastic news about blood counts and engraftment! Just what you want to hear! When you're back, you and Jay can eat fifty tubs of that ice-cream. They make good bars of it too. xo Marc

    ReplyDelete