Friday 7 November 2014

[DAY -3] Today (Saturday) is the Shabbat (sabbath - ...and on the 7th day He rested).  The streets are empty, the stores are closed.  It is Jewish law, and I think it is a good one.  Everybody take a day to relax, feast, and enjoy each other's company.  The law is pretty all-encompasing - I don't think there is much that you are allowed to do except eat and talk to each other.  Starts Friday at sunset, ends Saturday at sunset (roughly).  The work week here is Sunday to Thursday, and as you would expect, the shops are very busy Friday.

I have been asked more than once what I want to get out of this HSCT procedure.  I would like to kill the disease, stop it dead.  This would give my body a chance to achieve some healing (a good analogy I read is how can you paint the walls of your house if your house is on fire? - HSCT intends to put out the fire).  As a result, it would be a lot easier for me to perform everyday activities like cooking for my family, walking to the park with Elaina & Aly, and just being more able bodied (and less tired) to help Anne around the house with whatever I can.  My moodiness may also improve as a result of HSCT, but let's not get crazy, I don't want to lose all my great qualities.

In a few years from now, it would be great to be able to do some of this too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBXv37PFcAQ

But I know I gotta be patient.  I've read from many MS patient's post-HSCT accounts that the first year is very difficult and there will be many ups and down.  Symptom stability and improvement will only start to present themselves after 1 year.  And you gotta work for it.

I ate at the local McDonald's a couple times the first few days I was here.  The burgers are bigger, they have red onions (which I love) on them, and they just tasted better.  I forgot to take a picture, and I won't be going back because my immune system is deteriorating day by day, so you'll have to take my word for it.

Before I came, Anne bought me a MacBook Air computer to bring with me so I can write these posts, watch movies, surf the net, etc.  What a great computer.  Highly recommend.

------------------------

Update: Had my final Campath (30 mg/kg) injection today.  Nurse Ashraf was kind enough to provide in-room service for that one!

3 comments:

  1. I think turning into gray pants guy from the vid would make my day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red & white striped shirt guy would be ok too

      Delete
  2. Yes, the "Where's Waldo?-Inspired" get-up is where it's at, Aaron. Anne could definitely rock the white bell-bottoms with that tall, pointy, top-of-the-head bun. I, myself, would love to wear a super-bright yellow outfit.

    ReplyDelete