Thursday 20 November 2014

[DAY +9]  Last night I was feeling very weak, had some chills, and by this morning I had a fever.  So, this morning Nurse Hussein came to my room and lifted me out of my bed and into the wheelchair, and up we went to the clinic (I was so weak that there was no chance I could do that on my own).  When I got there, I was transferred into a bed.  Then I vomited everywhere.  After that, and a change of pants and bedsheets, I kinda felt better, and my fever subsided.  I did a blood test, took some IV antibiotics and fluids.  Then my fever started to take off again.  Dr Nadir got my my morning blood test results (all counts still very low).  It was at that time that Dr Nadir decided it would be best for me to spend a few days at Hadasah University Hospital in Jerusalem.  So here I am.  Prof Slavin used to run the Bone Marrow Transplant Department here, so everybody here seems to know him.  Some of the nurses here are British, so that makes communication easier too.  It is likely I will be here for at least 4 days.  We will see.

--------------

*Update*: Before I left CTCI, I received my first Neupogen shot.  This helps stimulate white blood cell growth, which will help protect me until engraftment happens and my bone marrow can do its thing.

----------------

Right now is the best I've felt in 24 hours.  Maybe all I needed was a change of scenery.  I believe that they will not discharge me from the hospital until my blood counts are at normal levels again.  Then, the worst of the transplant's effects on my body will be over, and only hard work will remain.

A lady from the USA, Vicki Wilson, with the same diagnosis (PPMS) and very similar disability (EDSS 6.0) as me, had this transplant done just over a year ago.  She has often said that she works very hard physically, and that has lead to great results.  Here is her great story:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FcMm8C_nZ8

1 comment:

  1. "maybe all i needed was a change of scenery." lol

    you and i are both far from home, buddy. i tend to forget the subtle strength and capability we were raised with, like the offensive line of the western hemisphere. every now and again i'm reminded; thought you'd enjoy...

    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mHSaHRd4Q48&feature=youtu.be

    ReplyDelete