Friday 21 November 2014

{DAY +10] And we have made it to double digits.  Great stuff.  Last night received a couple doses of IV antibiotics, and one helping of platelets.  I will receive more IV antibiotics today, not sure about platelets, but I'll find out soon enough.  I already feel much improved when compared to this time yesterday.  

I have been assigned to an isolation room at the hospital.  The room has 2 sets of doors, is 'positive pressure' so nothing blows into it from outside, and has a HEPA filter on the air coming in from the A/C.

*Update*: I received another platelet transfusion, and another Neupogen shot today.

-------------------

I do not want to scare off any future HSCT patients from coming to CTCI for HSCT, so let me explain my situation - why exactly I am here in a hospital in Jerusalem. At CTCI in Tel Aviv they have done many HSCT / bone marrow transplants.  I have had nothing but positive experiences with the Doctors and Nurses there, and Prof Slavin is one of the pioneers of HSCT for autoimmune diseases.  Saying that he is an expert may be understating things some.  They know the risks of transplants, and make the patient aware of these risks.  If complications arise, there are certain things that the medical staff at CTCI know must be done for the patient.  If it is not possible to do this (or these) medical procedure(s) at CTCI, they will quickly send you to Hadassah hospital, where the medical procedures can be performed.  In my case, Dr Nadir believed I would benefit from a platelet infusion, something which cannot be done at CTCI.  I cannot say forsure, but I would guess (and it's very likely) Dr Nadir consulted with Prof Slavin before sending me to Jerusalem.  Before I left CTCI, I did have a brief chat with Prof Slavin.  So here I am, in isolation at Hadassah Hospital in Jerusalem.

------------------

The night nurse who worked last night is originally from Calgary.  Small world.

No comments:

Post a Comment