Saturday 15 November 2014

[DAY +4]  Last night I won all the battles and made it to the bathroom whenever the urge to go woke me up.  Only negative is that the urge came about 10 times over the course of the night.  The result was not a great sleep, but great sleeps will come.  If there is an overload at the Tel Aviv water treatment facilities, I'm pretty sure I know the cause.

Today, my Dad designed a walking program that had me walk the floor of the hotel using the wheelchair as a walker.  A difficult task, but a great idea, and we did it. This program will definitely be repeated.  I also walked the wheelchair to the main exit, walked outside a bit (another beautiful day here), and then was wheeled around outside some.  I even got to sit outside for a short time.  The feeling of the sun and wind on my face was fantastic.

--------------------------

Future HSCT patients: bring a shoehorn.  Your feet will likely swell from all the liquids you ingest intravenously.  Mine did.

------------------------

This HSCT journey is a solo journey - I am the one undergoing the treatment.  But, other than that there is nothing solo about it.  My local caregivers (Dad & Diana) have been with me every step of the way providing physical & emotional support.  They feed me, pick me up when I fall, held the catheter bag when I showered (Dad got that enviable task), make sure I follow all the rules set out by Dr Nadir, make sure I get off my ass and move around, and generally are just there.  And all of our friends and family who send notes & texts (to both Anne and I), read this blog, attended/helped with fundraisers, and who we know are ready to help with anything at the drop of a hat.  And my wife and children, when I see them on FaceTime, or even just see their photographs, happiness consumes my body.  So, my impression is that this HSCT journey is a journey of hundreds.  And it will be completed together.




4 comments:

  1. Your dad creating a plan...shocking...kick his ass Papa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep making those walks Aaron and keep getting stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this may be the favourite post all around so far. So many good things happening. The walking plan sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Walks is what got me through our NICU stay with Tomislav. Keep on walking - its good for body and soul!!!

    ReplyDelete