Wednesday 12 November 2014

[DAY +1]  I am out of the clinic, had my pic line removed, have showered (with help from Dad & Diana).  Ashraf says no raw fruits or veg for 2 weeks.  That's too bad because right now I am dreaming of eating pomegranates and oranges outside in our backyard with family.  Aly puts her eyes over to my direction, tries and peer into my bowl, and in her babyish voice, asks "What you eating, Dada?".  I tell her, and ask her if she wants some.  She replies, in her unique way "No.  I got some.  See?".

---------------------

Last night in the clinic I slept the most soundly I have since I arrived in Tel Aviv.  Probably a few reasons why, but a major one is that the night nurse Sami provided me, after I asked him, with a sleeping pill.  Wow did that pill work great.  The previous nights in that clinic weren't so great in the sleep department, so I was not looking forward to another one.  Thank you Sami.

----------------------

I had a good chat with Dr Nadir today.  He said (I am paraphrasing here): "Over the next two weeks, as a result of this procedure your muscle mass will deteriorate.  Therefore, in a few days, when you are able, you must begin to eat protein, and move around some on your own two feet.  Otherwise, you will lose your muscle mass and be glued to a wheelchair.  It will be more difficult for you than for a normal length person, since you are long and lean, 'like a shoelace'. It is a matter of self-discipline, there is nothing I can do to help you."
Excellent information, and very concise.  I expect nothing less from Dr Nadir.

As Anne says, "You asked for this, now it's your turn to take charge.  Or else."

I agree, a big thing that HSCT provides people with MS is the ability to control their own destiny again.  So I will do what is necessary.  Whatever it takes.

----------------------

I feel like I have a new life.  I am able to see the realm of possibility again.  For that, I am very grateful.

----------------------

A few pictures from the recent days:

Day -2, with pic line inserted, about to undergo BMA, then chemo:


Day +1 (today), eating plain toast and tea


8 comments:

  1. Keep fighting! I know you can do it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take charge! Slowly but surely.... �� and ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marina. Looking forward to seeing everybody soon.

      Delete
  3. Happy to hear you're persevering! The prayers continue and we all believe in you! You're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "like a shoelace" must sound so classic in an Israeli accent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first met him, I asked if he was originally from Israel. His response, "Yes, I am an old Jew.".

      Delete