Tuesday 25 November 2014

[DAY +14] Blood counts continue to rise.  Doctor says this morning's test result showed my white blood cell count was 2.5.  Today's strategy is to give me another Neupogen shot (white blood cell production booster) and see what tomorrow's results show.  If all blood counts remain acceptable (continue to rise), and all else is good, then I will be discharged, and back to Tel Aviv (about 45 min drive) I will go.

----------------

*Update*
(1) Doctor just came in. When I got sick initially (in Tel Aviv before they sent me here), I had a blood test done.  Those results have made there way here (via CTCI), and the reason for sickness was a bacterial infection in my blood.  Doctors here are not concerned, but want me to stay 2 more days to complete a different, more relevant, IV anti-biotic course.  Then, I will be discharged (Thursday).
(2) Neupogen shot received 12:30
(3) Walked 3 loops of the hospital wing.  Focused on lifting my feet every step.

--------------------

My platelets, although rising, are not out of the danger zone yet.  So, I do not want to shave, or even attempt to shorten my facial hair in any way - "Do not cut yourself", I have been told many times.  I have found a way to shave with my bare hands only.  Cave Men would be proud.  My facial hair, when encouraged (e.g. rub my hands gently on it), will fall out.  I have used this method to rid myself of some of my beard.

----------------

Here is the view from my hospital room in Jerusalem:




Here is the view of the Hadassah Hospital Bone Marrow Transplant wing:


10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another beautiful day for you...great reason to get up and walk...keep it up xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Aaron..we are following your courageous story. So glad to hear your blood count is up. Nice picture of Jerusalem, pictured it different. Sending you positive thoughts. (

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary. The positive thoughts are serving me well. Keep them coming.

      Delete
  4. Good job Grover. Seems like you're putting in the necessary work. Keep it up. The facial hair thing must be weird. Not sure anyone has seen you without at least stubble since grade 4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, kruba. groves has had facial hair since he showed up at ms. drouillard's class in grade one. he was 6'2...

      Delete
  5. Ah, Aaron...I can just hear you saying the "Cave Man" line in person! What a view on the horizon in your photo. Better be cautious and stay at the hospital few more days with antibiotics. Here's to blood counts rising!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such good news! Anxiously reading your posts daily. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 2.5: sounds like your at the cusp of low normal for a WBC....this is great news. One more Neupogen shot and you'll be on the right track for sure. How are your overall symptoms? I expected you to be a lot weaker and nauseous but your blog suggests different.....I'm impressed. Just think smoked pigs neck awaits ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Legs are definitely weak, will need to be strengthened. Rest of my body is ok. Appetite is good. Want to get that 15 pounds back, and hopefully 15 on top of that. I will be eating like nobody's business when I get back.

      Delete