Thursday 13 November 2014

[DAY +2]  Had some blood in my urine yesterday (apparently not unusual post-chemo), so last night I stayed in the clinic.  This was a precautionary measure, and I was accompanied by several bags of fluids and the night nurse Hussein.  Blood is still there today, but it is not getting worse, so when I am done intaking my second bag (currently underway), then I get to sleep in my hotel room (which I almost begged for), if I drinks lots of water and promise to contact Hussein at the first sign of discomfort. I promise.

Another event for today was the removal of my catheter.  Now my lazy ass has to get up and go to the bathroom under my own strength.  Moving around is definitely good for me to do, but I am really gonna miss bring able to pee in-situ without consequence.

------------------------

The last couple years of our (Anne and me) life together have been eventful, to say the least.  We've watched with joy, the growing of our girls from babies to toddlers.  It's hard for me to write just how joyous it has been, so you'll just have to believe me when I say it's very joyous.  We've also witnessed with both disbelief and anger (mostly mine) the deterioration of the abilities of a healthy male in his thirties due to MS.  That motherfucker worked quick.  Through it all, the joys, disbeliefs, and whatever other emotions were present, there has been one solid rock in my life - my wife Anne.  It must be difficult to watch your spouse go from partner to dependent.  But she did, soldiered on, raised two beautiful young girls, kept our mouths fed, kept our clothes clean, and kept our house tidy (and more...).  All, while no doubt ignoring her own needs to keep us healthy and happy.  We love her for it.  I love her for it.  I am thankful every day that I was the lucky one who got to marry Anne.   I hope our girls turn out to be just like her.  She is tough, funny, smart, loveable, beautiful, a straight-shooter, doesn't put up with nonsense, and many other great things.  Marko and Ika, you must be proud.

5 comments:

  1. I went from laughing at 'pee in-situ' to tears about your beautiful thoughts about Anne - so lovely! xo Enjoy your sleep back in your comfy hotel bed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i came for the updates, i stay for the prose. this blog is like modern family, groves: consistent hilarity interspersed with touching anecdotes. well written and heart felt. thank you for taking us along with you, struggles and all. thank you for the (unwitting) reminders of our own tenuous contracts with mortality. thank you for your poise and determination in adversity's face; for being someone to be like. and most importantly, thank you for putting *salt* on those f#€king israeli mcdonalds fries. makes me smile just thinking about it. /rob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Rob. Your salt reference puts a smile on my face too.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for your detailed account. I have been searching for something like this. I am 58. I was diagnosed with PPMS in 2010. I am applying to Tel Aviv. I was nervous about being at an outpatient facility because of how sick you can feel from the chemo.but I will have my daughter and husband there to help me.it is my hope that I will be able to take long walks with my husband and dog on the beach,I hope to be able to dance at my children's weddings, and I hope to be able to help with the care of my grandchildren if I am blessed to have some in the future.Again thank you for your honesty. I hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete