Sunday 16 November 2014

[DAY +5] Feeling better today than I have felt since I arrived here. I have energy (been a while since I had some of that), I want to eat, a generally feel more awake.  This is good, but I know that these good days must be balanced with the bad days ahead.  Because there will be both, and taking advantage of good days is just as important as fighting through bad ones.  Ashraf says that my blood test results from Friday's test indicate that my 'blood counts' are decreasing, but have not yet reached the bottom.  Likely later this week I will be there.  When my blood test results indicate I have bottomed out, I will be given a 'stimulation' shot.  Exactly what is being stimulated and why, I am not sure, but I think the intention of the shot is to aid engraftment.

Another good thing to come from the blood test results is that my "lymphocyte" cell count is zero and has been for a few successive tests (my understanding is that pre-chemo Campath conditioning targets and destroys these cells, then chemo is given to kill any leftovers).  I'm not a Haematologist, but I think lymphocytes are the immune system cells that get screwed up and start to attack my central nervous system, aka MS.  Ashraf says that I need lymphocytes to survive, so we will be looking for them, along with all the other blood cell counts, to increase in population following bone marrow engraftment.  The new lymphocytes are expected to be better behaved than the old ones.

---------------------------

The biggest drag on me the last 16 hours or so is a rash.  It is around my waistline, around my neckline, and travels up the back of my neck to my head and behind my ears.  It wants so badly to be itched, but I know if I do that it ain't gonna help.  Ashraf believes it is a combination of my immune system being suppressed, the drugs in my body, and the laundry detergent that was used to wash my clothes.  His advice: wash clothes in hot water only - no detergent, some IV fluids (my favourite), and don't worry - it will go away.  Dr Nadir took a look this morning and said I'm the lucky owner of two different rashes.  He has given me anti-biotic pills and anti-biotic cream for the neck/head rash.  The other rash will go away on it's own as long as I follow Ashraf's advice.

---------------------------

Walked the 4th floor (our floor) of the hotel 3 consecutive times today.

--------------------------

Ashraf's parting words today were, "Your immune system is very low, very weak.  Be careful.".  I will.


1 comment:

  1. i bet that guy puts iv fluid on everything...

    ReplyDelete